Apple Cinnamon Pumpkin Bread Roll
Yields (1) 15” Cake Roll
This “twisted” cake roll is a nice and very tasty variation on the traditional Pumpkin Bread Roll that most people are familiar with. It has a hint of apple added to the cake-bread for a more unique taste along with the addition of a cinnamon-flavored cream cheese spread filling, for a special combination that really wets your appetite.
- 3 Eggs.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose White Flour.
- 1 cup white Sugar.
- 2/3 cup canned Pumpkin.
- 1/2 cup Apple Sauce.
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder.
- 2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice.
- 1/3 teaspoon ground Nutmeg.
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt.
- 1 cup finely chopped Walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs on high for 5 minutes. Then, gradually beat in the White Sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Next, add in the Pumpkin, Apple Sauce and Lemon Juice, continuing to stir until well mixed.
- In another bowl combine the Flour, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Salt; then fold into the Pumpkin-Apple batter mixture.
- In a 15”x10”x1” baking pan lined with waxed paper, grease and flour the paper a minimal amount as needed – Then spread the batter into the pan and sprinkle with the chopped Walnuts.
- Once oven is properly pre-heated, bake for 15 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately turn out the cake, inverted onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar – Peel off the wax paper and roll the cake up in the towel, starting with the short end – Then, allow to cool.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese filling:
- 1 cup (8 ounce package) Cream Cheese, softened.
- 1 cup powdered confectioners’ Sugar.
- 1/4 cup Butter, softened.
- 1/4 cup Honey.
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (fitted with the whisk attachment), beat the Cream Cheese, confectioners’ Sugar, Butter, Honey, ground Cinnamon and Vanilla Extract, until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds).
- After baking the Pumpkin-Apple batter and allowing to cool, carefully remove it from towel and unroll the cake – Spread the Cinnamon Cream Cheese filling over cake to within 1” of the edges.
- Dust the outside with additional confectioners’ Sugar (if desired). Roll the cake up again and cover to chill until serving *(May be frozen for serving later).