Portobello Sandwich with Honey Poppy Seed Dressing
Yields (4) Servings
Portobello Mushroom sandwiches are a healthy and delicious veggie recipe that are perfect for any occasion. Various combinations of Portobello and different vegetables may be used or substituted for a variety of flavors and individual taste.
- 4 large Portobello Mushrooms.
- 16 leafs Spinach (may substitute layer of Cabbage or other “greens”).
- 2 fresh Tomatoes (sliced wide).
- 1/2 large Sweet Onion (sliced wide).
- *May add other vegetables (as per taste).
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese (may substitute Feta or other cheeses).
- 8 pieces Bread (Flat Bread or Baguette slices).
- Mayonnaise (spread as needed).
- Honey Poppy Seed Dressing (may substitute – spread as needed).
Honey Poppy Seed Dressing: *(SEE separate Dressings/Sauces Category Listing)
- Slice and prepare the Portobello Mushroom caps and all the vegetables *(May substitute and/or add other veggies as per taste – such as: Zucchini, Kale, Bell Pepper, etc. – thinly sliced).
- Place the Portobello Mushrooms and Tomatoes (and other veggies if used) on a grilling tray and bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, sauté the Onion slices until slightly brown and caramelized.
- Prepare Bread slices for four sandwiches (slightly toasting as per taste), spreading Mayonnaise on one slice with Honey Poppy Seed Dressing on the other.
- Place a Portobello Mushroom over the slice with Mayonnaise and add a layer of Swiss Cheese.
- Place a layer of sautéed Onions over the slice with Honey Poppy Seed Dressing and add a layer of Swiss Cheese.
- Place bread slices with vegetables in the oven, near end of cooking and allow cheese to soften and slightly melt – then remove from oven.
- Coat the Portobello Mushroom slices with Honey Poppy Seed Dressing, add layering of other veggies and finish building the sanwiches.
- READY TO SERVE.