Turkey and Veggie Rice Bake
Yields (6-8) Servings
If you were wondering what to do with all the turkey after a large Thanksgiving feast – there are many creative ways to reuse and concoct new meals out of that left-over bird, versus simply having an huge supply of turkey sandwiches.
This one-skillet dish is both a hearty and delicious recipe that is loaded with healthy vegetables plus is quick and easy to cook as well. It is low on sodium and sugar while being high in vitamins and rich in flavor. *(You can also very easily make this into a tasty VEGETARIAN MEAL by just removing the turkey and preparing it “as is” with the same ingredients below or by substituting Tofu for the meat).
- 6-8 ounces (1 1/2 cups) smoked turkey breast (or smoked Tofu) – cooked.
- 4 cups Kale leaves – chopped.
- 2 cups Leeks (white and green parts only) – thinly sliced.
- 1 cup Celery – small chopped pieces.
- 1 can (28-ounce) diced Tomatoes (do not strain juices).
- 1 cup Cottage Cheese (low-fat/no salt added).
- 1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar Cheese (shredded).
- 1 cup instant (or quick cooking) Brown Rice.
- 1/4 cup water.
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper.
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin Olive Oil (for cooking).
- Heat Oil in large deep oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat – Meanwhile, cook Brown Rice in a pot (per package instructions).
- Add Leeks and Celery into the skillet, then cook, stirring frequently until beginning to soften (2-3 minutes).
- Add the Kale and diced Tomatoes (with unstrained juices) and cook, continuing to stir until Kale begins to wilt (1-2 minutes).
- Stir in the Cottage Cheese, Turkey (or Tofu), water and ground Black Pepper – Bring to a simmer, then reduce to medium-low heat and cook with lid covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position a rack in the upper 2/3 of oven and pre-heat broiler.
- Uncover the skillet and continue cooking the Rice mixture, increasing the heat to medium until most of the liquid has evaporated (10-12 minutes).
- Spread Cheddar Cheese on top of the cooked ingredients and place in oven to broil until cheese begins bubbling (2-3 minutes).
- Remove and allow to slightly cool – THEN READY TO SERVE.